- Bank Top
The present regional
and main line station was opened in 1887. Bay platforms at the north end of the station originally serviced trains for Bishop Auckland and
Barnard Castle. Today the ‘Heritage Line’ train uses the mainline platforms within the station.
Engine sheds and carriage sidings once littered the route on both sides of the main line before the line diverged at Parkgate Junction. All distances on the branch line were measured from this point.