This is the present
terminus of the ‘Heritage Line’ passenger train service from Darlington.
First opened in 1843,
when the line was extended from South Church to Crook, Bishop Auckland was to develop into an important interchange point. It was like the
hub of a wheel with lines radiating to all parts of the railway network including Darlington, Crook & Weardale, Durham, Spennymoor and
Barnard Castle. It was unusual in shape being triangular, so it was no problem if a locomotive needed turning.
It was occasionally passed through by mainline express traffic diverting to avoid engineering works between Darlington and Durham.
In the immediate post-war years it was possible to catch a Bishop Auckland to Blackpool summer special via Barnard Castle and Stainmore summit.
A substantial goods
yard opened in the 1870’s existed towards the centre of the town. Scammel delivery trucks could often be seen scurrying around the busy
streets with deliveries.
Line closures in the
1960’s left the station a shadow of its former self. Eventually the old station buildings were to be demolished and replaced in the
1980’s with a modern style chalet building. This building today also provides accommodation for a snack bar, drivers test centre and
A signal adjacent to the platform marks the point where the Weardale Railway commences.
On 22nd May 2010 a temporary platform and the line to Weardale were formally opened to passengers, with a daily community service commencing the following day.
For a printable map showing the exact location of Bishop Auckland Station Click here