is a small, linear village principally composed of stone terraces of quarrymen's
cottages. It lies at the point where The Great Limestone outcrops at river
level, so became the focus for the exploitation of these huge reserves in the
nineteenth century. Frosterley was the
original terminus of the railway, which opened from Witton Junction on 8th August 1847 along with a branch into the nearby Bishopley quarry complex.
A Stockton & Darlington ceramic plaque ‘J11’ still exists today above the entrance to the old station building.
Although virtually all quarries have now 'gone back to nature' it is easy to find most of the old trackbeds, cuttings and embankments associated with the maze of sidings that once existed here.
One of the quarries was a source of a particularly hard limestone, rich in fossils - Frosterley Marble. It was prized for its decorative value and can be found locally in Durham Cathedral, Auckland Palace and the local church font. A large piece, recently quarried and donated by Sherburn Stone Ltd, has been sculpted and mounted at the refurbished station for its 2004 re-opening.
It is thought that in
the early 1850’s a wooden engine shed was erected here to be eventually moved to Stanhope when the line was extended in 1862. It is
unclear as to whether it was this timber building or a replacement stone building that was
transferred. The goods facility was withdrawn on
3rd March 1969.
Frosterley Station 2004
|The station house is
today used as a children’s nursery. The platform has been rebuilt and extended
and a small car park has been provided. As Frosterley is a request stop,
passengers wishing to board must clearly signal their intention to the
driver as he slows. Passengers wishing to alight at Frosterley should
inform the guard or ticket inspector when they board.
Frosterley village has in its centre a Co-op general dealership including Post Office and newsagent, a fish shop open most afternoons, and a larger car park. There are two public houses, one at each end of the village. The Black Bull, adjacent to the station, serves lunches and teas most days, and a selection of real ales. It is believed to be the only pub in the country to have its own ring of bells on the premises.
For a printable map showing the exact location of Frosterley Station Click here