This was the remotest station on the branch, splitting the section between Witton-Le-Wear and Wolsingham. It was unusual in that it had no public vehicular access.
Opened as a small halt to serve the nearby Harperley Hall and its estate in 1847, it was extensively enlarged in 1892 to serve the local ganister (a siliceous clay) and timber contractor who were provided with sidings either side of the line.
Adjacent to an open
level crossing was a signal box, which controlled the double line section through the station to allow trains to pass. The signal box closed
Frank Webster who was
the local branch secretary of the NUR lived and worked at the station. He often talked of there being a Harperley Ghost. Can anyone confirm