This small town known
as ‘the cradle of the railways’ grew up with railways in its blood. The original route of the historic Stockton & Darlington railway
diverged behind the station on route for Brusselton and Witton Park.
A railway wagon works
established in 1834 provided jobs for many people from the town.
The restored home and
workplace of the first S & DR superintendent engineer Timothy Hackworth is nearby.
The adjacent Hackworth Museum has now been incorporated into the new National Railway Museum outreach centre called "Locomotion". It is hoped that in the future we can cooperate with the museum in joint heritage rail ventures.
The station has
recently undergone a total re-vamp with new platforms and modern waiting shelters.
The nearby signal box
is the last survivor of three at Shildon and the last one along the branch.