The first station on
the branch was Witton-Le-Wear.
The original station,
which contains a Stockton & Darlington Railway ceramic plaque, still exists today as a private residence.
In the 1930ís this was the home of the LNER District Engineer, whose offices were in Bishop Auckland. Because of its location on a curve and incline, it was found difficult to start passenger trains from here and therefore the NER built a new station to the East.
This station- a single
storey version of the NERís 1880ís design was built adjacent to the road connecting the village to Wear Valley Junction. Its
accommodation consisted of General Waiting room, Booking Office, Gents Waiting room, Ladies Waiting room, WC and urinals.
It closed to passengers
along with all of the other stations on the branch on 27th June 1953. Goods traffic would continue to be dealt with until 1st
There is no trace of
the buildings or platform Ė the site being completely cleared in April 1973.
To the west of the
station there is a level crossing, which is controlled from an adjacent ground frame and still in use today (when trains run).
Opposite the station were coal drops and a wooden single road goods shed. The working of these sidings is unclear.
Beyond the station and
to the west across the level crossing was another siding which included a cattle and horse dock.