Wolsingham

Wolsingham is an attractive and expanding village, though it has always had a commercial base involving both agriculture and industry. Being just east of the limestone outcrop, its industries did not include quarrying, but the proximity of iron workings at Tow Law supported the building of a steel works that developed expertise in marine castings and fabrications. Their products included huge gunbarrels which were manufactured in a large stone building adjacent to the railway. This building, generally referred to as 'the gunbarrel shed',  is now a listed building. It is unsuitable for modern foundry techniques and is therefore disused, but its position next to the railway makes it an ideal depot for our project. A long term lease has been negotiated and the site has become our depot, the Wolsingham Railway Centre.

Westbound from WOlsingham, 1958.

Main platform & buildings, 1958.

Looking north over the village.

Station House, 2000.

 Wolsingham is situated 7 miles from Wear Valley Junction. The station building is similar in style with steeply pitched roofs of stone slabs, held in place by sheep’s bones. It nestles between the River Wear and a high embankment, held back by a substantial retaining wall built in the 1890’s. A wooden footbridge once linked the two platforms.

To the east of the station were extensive sidings, which included accommodation for the local coal merchant. The Wear Valley Goods, which ran twice daily from Bishop Auckland Goods yard, serviced the yard. The goods called at all stations between Wear Valley Junction and Wearhead, dropping off or picking up goods as required.

Upstairs in the station house, the Directors of the NER often used to meet in the long room known as the ‘board room’.

The sidings closed to goods 6th September 1982. The unusual shaped signal box closed in June 1984, with both signalmen being transferred to Witton-Le-Wear.

Wolsingham Station 2004

Quite a crowd for the first train!
Facilities at Wolsingham Station include a car park and ramped access to the platform. At present there is a portable toilet in the car park. There is no ticket office yet. Passengers must purchase their tickets from the travelling ticket inspector just before boarding. Cafe facilities are planned, but not yet in operation.

Please note that when trains arrive in Wolsingham all passengers have to disembark while the train goes to the depot. It returns after 20 minutes for the return journey – thus it is recommended that disabled passengers start and finish at Wolsingham if they wish to remain on the train for the full return journey.

Wolsingham village is a short walk from the station. It has several shops including Post Office and chemist, cafes and public houses most of which serve food all day. There is a branch of Barclays Bank.

For a printable map showing the exact location of Wolsingham Station  Click here

 


Home News Timetable Find Us Contact Partners Snippets Shop Gallery Help!